News Photo
The Saints battled tough in unfavorable weather conditions against Cardinal Stritch on Saturday but fell to the Wolves 2-0
Women's Soccer - Sun, Oct. 6, 2013

John Brodbeck

Sports Information Director

Milwaukee, WIS. -- The Holy Cross Saints women's soccer team continued their two-game road trip in Milwaukee, Wis. to take on the Cardinal Stritch Wolves in CCAC action. A strong defensive second half by the Saints wasn't enough to keep the Wolves off the scoreboard as Stritch netted two first half goals to defeat the Saints 2-0. With the loss, the Saints drop to 3-7 overall and 0-4 in the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC).

"I thought the girls demonstrated strong play considering all of the changes due to injuries and soreness," said Saints head coach Geriann Druyos. "We adjusted well at halftime and dealt with all of our weather delays and adversity. Despite the result, I thought the girls fought all the way until the end of the game."

The Wolves came out the aggressors in Saturday's CCAC meeting, generating offensive scoring chances early in the match.

Keeping the Saints offensive looks in check early on, the Wolves netted the first goal of the game in the 16th minute. This trend continued throughout the first half as the Saints were held to just one shot and outshot 11-1 in the first half.

Cardinal Stritch continued their active approach in the half netting their second goal in the 34th minute to put the Saints behind 2-0.

Towards the end of the first half, Mother Nature decided to roll in with heavy rain, thunder and lightning which delayed the game for 30 minutes.

Senior goalkeeper Aileen Clouse (Beavercreek, Ohio) kept the Saints in the game in the first half with four saves.

Despite the two first half goals from Cardinal Stritch, the Saints were far from out of the game. It would take a strong offensive step in the second half, but it could be done.

The Saints defense stepped up big in the second half, limiting the Wolves to seven shots despite the six corner kicks.

Offensively, the Saints were able to get a few more shots, however, were not fortunate to put one in the back of the net.

The Saints held the Wolves scoreless in the second half but ultimately fell 2-0 in defeat, dropping their fifth consecutive game of the season.

Mayte Carillo Benavides (Chicago, Ill.) led the Saints with two shots, while Aileen Clouse finished the game with seven saves.

"We had more offense in the second half but still struggle to find the net and complete our offensive movements," continued Druyos. "I told the team that games like this are why you play college soccer. They will likely never forget the day when they got rain delayed and had to spend the night in Milwaukee without being prepared.

"We're continuing to make positive strides, and now need to focus on finding the net. Overall, I'm extremely proud of their effort considering the adversity our team has faced lately."

The Saints (3-7, 0-4 CCAC) will resume CCAC action at home on Tuesday, October 15 against the Robert Morris University Eagles. The game is set to begin at 4:00 p.m. EST.