News Photo
The Saints fell to Cardinal Stritch in overtime on Sunday morning
Men's Soccer - Sun, Oct. 6, 2013

John Brodbeck

Sports Information Director

Milwaukee, WIS. – After Mother Nature forced the reschedule of the game on Saturday evening, the Holy Cross Saints men's soccer team took on the Wolves of Cardinal Stritch University early on Sunday morning. After trailing 1-0 at the half, the Saints tied the game in the second half and forced overtime with the host Wolves. Cardinal Stritch, however, would get the favorable result on Sunday's contest with a game winning goal in 100th minute of overtime. The loss drops the Saints to 6-4 overall and 2-2 in the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC).

Cardinal Stritch came out early looking to strike first, landing three corner kicks in the first two minutes. Their offensive efficiency continued in the seventh minute when Josh Roberts netted the first goal of the game to give the Wolves and early 1-0 lead.

With momentum clearly on the Wolves side, the Saints needed to pick up the intensity and develop some momentum of their own.

Troy Padgett (Brampton, Ontario, Canada) and Garbhan Grant (Letterkenny, Ireland) helped jump start the Saints offense with back-to-back shots on goal in the 19th and 21st minutes; however, they were unable to get a shot in the back of the net in the first half, and went into the break trailing the Wolves 1-0.

After one half of play, Cardinal Stritch outshot the Saints 9-5 and had a 5-1 corner kick advantage.

A revived Saints team hit the field in the in the second half destined to steal the momentum back. It was sophomore Alfredo Molestina (Guayaquil, Ecuador) who got the Saints offense back on track with his second goal of the season in the 52nd minute. With the score now tied at 1-1, it was a whole new ballgame.

Both teams had their fair share of chances in the second half, each picking up two corner kicks apiece. Once again, however, the Wolves had outshot the Saints 7-3. The good news was that the game was still tied after the first 90 minutes, so overtime was on the horizon. This was the first overtime for the Saints in conference play this season.

The Saints were unable to get a shot on goal in the overtime period as Cardinal Stritch scored the game winning goal in the 100th minute, just before the end of the period. The golden goal gave the Wolves a 2-1 victory and handed the Saints their second consecutive CCAC defeat.

Simon Soto (South Bend, Ind.) led the Saints with two shots. Iain McTurk finished the game with five saves.

Holy Cross (6-4, 2-2 CCAC) will return home for their final non-conference matchup of the year against former CCAC member Illinois Institute of Technology on Saturday, October 12 at 2:30 p.m. EST. They will resume CCAC action on Wednesday, October 16 against Robert Morris University.