News Photo
The Saints seven-game winning streak came to an end as they fell to St. Franics on the road on Thursday
Men's Basketball - Thu, Dec. 19, 2013

John Brodbeck

Sports Information Director

JOLIET, Ill. -- The Holy Cross men's basketball team saw their program-best seven-game winning streak come to an end on the road Thursday evening against fellow CCAC-foe St. Francis (Ill.). The Saints shot just 36.8% from the floor, 20.0% from three-point range and turned the ball over 15 times as they dropped their sixth consecutive to the University of St. Francis (Ill.) by a final score of 67-63. With the loss, the Saints fall to 10-5 overall and 4-1 in the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC).

Despite giving up seven three-pointers in the first half and shooting only 35.7% from the field, the Holy Cross men's basketball team found themselves only trailing the University of St. Francis (Ill.) by one point at the break. With seven lead changes in the half, the Saints did all they could to fight off the hot-shooting Fighting Saints. In order to keep pace, the Saints were aggressive on the offensive end as they got the foul line. They got to the line 15 times in the half and made 11. Trailing by four points with under one minute remaining, Clayton Webb (Dallas, Texas) and Brandon Evans (Grand Rapids, Mich.) contributed to score three straight points for the Saints to end the half trailing just 33-32.

St. Francis did the majority of their first half damage from the beyond the arc as Chris Miller and Andrew Lerg combined for six of their seven made three-pointers. The Fighting Saints made 12 field goals in the half, seven of which were three-pointers.

Drew Moore (Dayton, Ohio) scored 12 first half points to pace the Saints while Parker Dominguez (Santa Clarita, Calif.) and Clayton Webb had five points and five rebounds apiece.

The significant struggles for Holy Cross happened in the first six minutes of the second half as St. Francis outscored the Saints 12-2 over the stretch to open up an 11-point advantage. The Saints, however, would not give up without a fight. A layup from Darrell McIntyre (Indianapolis, Ind.) finished off a 12-4 Holy Cross run bring the Saints within three points at the midway point of the second half.

St. Francis regained control as they upped their lead to seven points with 3:42 remaining in the game. The Saints would get within three-points three different times in the final minute, but some key free-throws from St. Francis would put the seal on the game. Holy Cross rallied from 11 points down in the second half but came up just short as they dropped their first game in CCAC play 67-63.

Drew Moore finished with a game-high 21 points on 6-of-19 shooting from the field and 7-of-8 from the free-throw line. Clayton Webb finished with a productive nine points and eight rebounds off the bench.

The Saints shot just 36.8% from the floor during the game and made only 2-of-10 attempts from three-point distance.

With the loss, the Saints program-best seven-game winning streak comes to an end. They will now return to action on Saturday, December 21 with an exhibition matchup against Saint Joseph's College (Ind.). The game is scheduled to tip-off at 4:00 p.m. EST.