News Photo
Senior Jaime Genis Corrals the Ball and Looks Upfield
Men's Soccer - Wed, Oct. 5, 2011
(Bourbonnais, Illinois) Olivet Nazarene University (2-7-1) hosted the Saints (3-4-1) in a conference match-up in front of a crowd greater than 200.


Through seventy-five minutes, the contest appeared to be heading towards a 0-0 tie.


Both teams peppered their opposing goalkeepers with numerous scoring chances the entire evening, though landing just a small fraction on net.


In the first half, both the Saints and ONU recorded six shots, while only one required a save from senior goalkeeper Damian Marciniak (Michigan City, Indiana).


Holy Cross put a little more pressure on the goalkeeper for ONU, putting three balls on net, but still could not capitalize on the scoreboard.


Head coach Rhett Zych noted early that one goal could be the difference in the game, "After the first half ended with no goals, and with the way the game was going and how we were playing, I told the guys one goal could probably decide the game."


"I wanted to create the sustained pressure in their end and take control of the game", added Zych.


The second half started out relatively sloppy, with a few offside calls against Olivet, and numerous fouls called on both teams. Junior Garbhan Grant (Letterkenng, Ireland) had the first shot on goal in the second half at the 51st minute, but it was a far cry from any consistent pressure on ONU goalkeeper Tim Walker.


ONU fired back around the 58th minute with four shots and a corner kick within a 14-minute span to take some momentum as the game began to wind down.


The pressure boiled over in the 76th minute when Olivet's Patrick Hoep scored his sixth goal of the season off a header in the box and rifled it passed Marciniak.


ONU kept their level of play high, attempting a corner kick and a shot in the 79th minute, and then capitalizing again in the 82nd minute off a corner kick by Hoep.


John Nardozzi put it behind Marciniak off a feed from the corner from Hoep.


ONU would not allow Holy Cross to start any rally, thus ending the game 2-0.


"It was another one of the games that could have gone either way down the stretch", remarked Zych, "The way things worked out, ONU just got the better of us in a few key situations."


Damian Marciniak made 2 saves for the Saints.

Grant had three shots on goal, and Edy Berruezo (Madrid, Spain) added another.


The loss setback the Saints mark to a 3-5-1 record. They resume play at home this weekend October 8th against Saint Xavier University at 3:00 PM.