News Photo
A late three-pointer helped St. Francis defeat the Saints 74-67 on Tuesday night
Men's Basketball - Wed, Dec. 19, 2012

(Notre Dame, Ind.) A three-point basket from the visitors of St. Francis (Ill.) with 29 seconds remaining in regulation put the Saints behind for the final time on Tuesday night in Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC) play. St. Francis defeated Holy Cross 74-67, ending the Saints season long four game winning streak.


The Saints held the lead the majority of the first half and took a 36-29 advantage into halftime after a three-pointer from Zoe Bauer (Culver, Ind.) extended the lead to seven with just 3 seconds remaining.

With the second half underway, another three-pointer from Zoe Bauer gave the Saints their largest lead of the game 46-34 with 17:24 left in the game.

St. Francis would use an 8-to-0 run over the next two minutes to cut the lead to 4, and take their first lead since halfway through the first half on a Billy Hubly jumper at the 8:54 mark.

Brandon Evans (Grand Rapids, Mich.) hit 1-of-2 free-throws which gave the Saints a 66-65 lead with 2:09 left to play; their last lead of the game.

With less than one minute remaining in the contest and the score all knotted up at 67, a three-pointer from St. Francis's Billy Hubly gave Fighting Saints a three-point lead with 29 seconds left in regulation. A Zoe Bauer missed three forced Holy Cross to have to play the foul game for the last seconds of the game.

A Holy Cross turnover with seven seconds left put the game out of reach after Chris Miller knocked down two more free-throws for St. Francis giving them a 74-67 victory over Holy Cross.

Mike Vander Ploeg (Kalamazzo, Mich.) led the way for the Saints with 15 points and 5 assists. Zoe Bauer and Brandon Evans were the others to finish in double figures for the Saints with 14 and 13 points.

Billy Hubly scored 16 second half points for St. Francis, none coming any bigger than his go-ahead three-pointer late in the game.

"Tonight was a tough one for us," said head coach Bob Schermerhorn. "We had a number of chances to continue building our lead, but we were unable to execute tonight. St. Francis played tough down the stretch and hit more shots than we did."

Tuesday night's loss was the first loss for Holy Cross since December 1st against Calumet College of St. Joseph.

The Saints, 9-6 (5-5 CCAC), will enjoy some time for the holidays and return to the court for a road matchup on Thursday, January 3rd against fellow CCAC member Trinity International University.