News Photo
(Photo courtesy of Bill Panzica of Sporting Shots)
Women's Soccer - Sun, Sep. 1, 2013

John Brodbeck

Sports Information Director

NOTRE DAME, Ind. -- The Holy Cross Saints women's soccer program continued their strong start to the 2013 season on Sunday afternoon with a matchup with the Lynx of Lindenwood University-Belleville. After tough scoreless sixty-plus minutes to open the game, the Saints struck with the games only goal to defeat the Lynx by a score of 1-0. The win for the Saints gives them their second straight victory and brings their season record to 2-1.

"This was definitely a tough test for our team," stated first year head coach Geriann Druyos. "It was a battle from the opening minutes with both teams making it difficult for scoring chances. Our resilience down the stretch really helped us hold onto our lead and seal off our second straight victory."

The game action was intense from the very first whistle. With temperatures near 90 degrees, a deep bench was necessary to keep fresh bodies on the field at all times.

Lindenwood took control on offense in the first half, outshooting the Saints ten to seven in the first 45 minutes.

Aileen Clouse (Beavercreek, Ohio) stood strong in the first half with six saves.

After the first 45 minutes the game was scoreless.

The Saints began getting good looks at the net to open the second half; Mayte Carillo Benavides (Chicago, Ill.) had two good chances in the first two minutes of the half.

The aggressiveness of the Saints offense was about to pay off.

Stacy Rubio (Northlake, Ill.) delivered a great pass through the defenders to Benavides who buried her third goal of the season in the 67th minute to tally the first goal of the game.

With over 20 minutes left to play, and temperatures continuing to rise, the Saints knew it would take a total team effort to finish off the Lynx.

"This was another game where I thought we had a great team effort," continued Druyos. "We relied on a number of players down the stretch to provide us with fresh legs for the final moments of the game. I thought they did a great job fighting through the heat and playing until the final whistle."

Aileen Clouse continued her strong play in the second half stopping all seven shots on goal. She finished the game with 13 saves and her first shutout of the year.

The physical and mental toughness displayed by the Saints in this game demonstrates just how far they have come in the last calendar year.

"In the past, I'm unsure if we would've felt we could have won this game," continued Druyos. "This team has bought into the style of play we'd like to play and they're continuously getting better. The strides they've shown from game one to now is through the roof. It was a fun win for our team, but now we must get back to work and continue to work on refining our game for our next match."

The Saints have now won back-to-back games and improved to 2-1 on the season. They will return to action on the road against the University of Northwestern Ohio on September 7th