News Photo
The Saints fell to 0-3 on the road in conference games this season after a 2-1 loss to Roosevelt
Men's Soccer - Sun, Oct. 20, 2013

John Brodbeck

Sports Information Director

Bridgeview, ILL. -- The Holy Cross men's soccer team saw their road woes continue on Saturday afternoon after taking on the Lakers of Roosevelt University at Toyota Park. After tying the game in the second half, a late goal from the host Lakers was the deciding factor in the 2-1 loss to Roosevelt. With the loss, the Saints fall to 8-5 overall and 3-3 in the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC).

Playing on the road is a hard enough feat to begin with; it becomes even more difficult when falling behind early. In Saturday's conference matchup, the host Lakers got off to a fast start over the Saints after scoring the first goal of the game in just the sixth minute. Andrew Obmalay finished off a series of passes to just beat the outstretched Iain McTurk (Copenhagen, Denmark) which gave the Lakers the early momentum.

Despite the early goal, the Saints did not panic. Over the course of the next 40 minutes they held the Lakers scoreless and only trailed 1-0 at the break.

Roosevelt held a 7-3 shot advantage at the break.

A re-energized team took the field to start the second half, as senior captain Garbhan Grant (Letterkenny, Ireland) continued his incredible play this season by scoring his ninth goal of the year in the 64th minute to tie the game at 1-1. Grant took the pass from Eduardo Berruezo (Madrid, Spain) and beat the defense and goalkeeper with a spin move in the box.

The Saints seemed to have the momentum now on their side.

Both teams began exchanging possession over the next 10 minutes. Then, in the 76th minute, the Lakers received a big go-ahead goal from Danny Rozen to make it a 2-1 game with less than 15 minutes to play.

The Saints continued to fight until the final whistle; Simon Soto (South Bend, Ind.) had two scoring opportunities in the final minutes that were saved by the goalkeeper and blocked. After 90 minutes of hard fought soccer, the Saints fell to the Lakers 2-1.

Freshman goalkeeper Iain McTurk finished the game with seven saves.

With the loss, the Saints fall to 0-3 on the road in conference games.

The Saints (8-5, 3-3 CCAC) will continue on the road in Joliet, Ill. on Tuesday, October 22 against the University of St. Francis. The game is set to kick-off at 8:00 p.m. EST.